ODOT DBE Goal Methodology
ODOT DBE Goal Methodology
ODOT DBE Goal Methodology Virtual Public Meetings
The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) Division of Opportunity, Diversity, and Inclusion invited the public to a virtual public meeting regarding the agency’s methodology for developing disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE) goals for the next three federal fiscal years (2023-2025) on June 9, 2022.
The following topics were discussed:
- Information concerning the availability of disadvantaged and non-disadvantaged businesses
- Information concerning the effects of discrimination on opportunities for DBEs
- ODOT’s efforts to establish a level playing field for the participation of DBEs
- ODOT’s DBE goal setting methodology used for the proposed overall triennial DBE goal for Federal Fiscal Years 2023 – 2025.
The purpose was to obtain comments and consult with the public as well as answer any questions about ODOT's DBE goals for next three years. The Division of Opportunity, Diversity, and Inclusion will share other division updates during the meetings. Attendees heard from ODOT’s Office of Transit about their overall DBE goal setting methodology and proposed goal as well and the Ohio Turnpike & Infrastructure Commission shared information on their programs.
What was discussed during the meeting?
ODOT’s DBE goal setting methodology used for the proposed overall triennial DBE goal for Federal Fiscal Years 2023 – 2025.
What agencies participated?
ODOT Division of Opportunity, Diversity, and Inclusion
ODOT Office of Transit
Ohio Turnpike and Infrastructure Commission.
When were the public meetings?
Two meetings were held on Thursday, June 9. If you missed them, please check out the playback below.
How long is the comment period open?
The 30 day comment period for the Highway DBE goal was open through July 8, 2022.
- Please review the 'ODOT 2023-25 Overall DBE Goal and Metholodgy Document' in the document section of this page.
The 30 day comment period for the Transit DBE goal was open through July 17, 2022.
- Please review the 'FTA Goal and Metholodgy Document' in the document section of this page.
What is the timeline and steps to completing this process?
- May 2022 – Receive availability study and proposed triennial DBE goals for both FHWA and FTA draft from BBC Consulting
- June 9, 2022 – Virtual public meetings will be held
- August 1, 2022 – ODOT’s Overall Triennial Goal will be submitted to FHWA for review
Beginning in October 2021, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) commissioned the Denver-based firm BBC Research & Consulting (BBC) to conduct an availability study to determine the availability of woman- and minority-owned companies to participate in ODOT work, and to develop tools for calculating project-specific goals when relevant. Information from the study will help ODOT evaluate and refine their efforts to encourage the participation of minority- and woman-owned businesses in their contracts and help inform any adjustments that ODOT might make to its implementation of the Federal Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program.
The availability study will focus on construction and professional services contracts and procurements that ODOT awarded from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2020 (state FY2018-FY2020). The core purpose of the availability study will be to examine the percentage of contract dollars that minority- and woman-owned businesses might be expected to receive based on their capacity to perform specific types and sizes of agency contracts.
If you have questions regarding the availabity study, please visit the Availabity Study webpage or email [email protected].
Please contact [email protected] or call 614-644-8436