Flood Hazard Areas
Flood Hazard Areas
The comment period for the proposed code amendment begins April 23, 2021 and closes on May 9, 2021. The City of Austin Development Services Department is proposing the addition of Article 3 (Flood Hazard Areas) to Chapter 25-12 of the Land Development Code.
This new article combines the City’s flood load and hazard area regulations (also referred to as the City’s “floodplain regulations”). This article will simplify the City Code and avoid the need to repeat these regulations throughout each article of Chapter 25-12 (Technical Codes). Specifically, the proposed ordinance relocates existing code language from the following four sections:
- International Building Code (IBC) Appendix G
- International Building Code (IBC) 1612
- International Residential Code (IRC) R322
- International Building Code (IBC)/ International Residential Code (IRC) Flood Plain Definitions
Changes do not include new requirements or remove existing regulations.
Please note, the information on this page applies solely to the newly-proposed Article 3. For information about 2021 Technical Code updates beyond the scope of Article 3, please click here.
The chart below details the process for this proposed change to be adopted:
The documents below provide more details about the creation of Flood Hazard Areas (Chapter 25-12, Article 3).
- 2021 Flood Hazard Areas (Article 3) Ordinance Proposed Changes: Highlights all proposed revisions in detail, providing the full text as it will read once adopted.
- 2021 Flood Hazard Areas (Article 3) Proposed Changes Presentation: Provides a broad overview of what changes are proposed and why they are suggested.
- 2021 Flood Plain Regulations (Article 3) Language Relocation Information: Provides language as it currently exits and shows where the proposed change will move the language.