McDowell Creek Greenway
McDowell Creek Greenway
Welcome to the McDowell Creek Greenway public input webpage. McDowell Creek Greenway will extend from existing McDowell Creek Greenway (at Sam Furr Road) to existing Torrence Creek Greenway (at Gilead Road). McDowell Creek Greenway connects the Town of Cornelius and the Town of Huntersville and offers adjacent neighborhoods connections to great amenities such as the Westmoreland Park, Westmoreland Athletic Complex, Robbins Park, significant retail such as Birkdale Village and to nearby schools. This project is funded through the FY2019 CIP and will add approximately 2.5 miles of trails to Mecklenburg County's growing greenway system.
This greenway project has been divided into 4 segments due to funding and real estate constraints.
- Segment 1a extends from existing Torrence Creek Greenway to Gilead Road. (Project construction is complete.)
- Segment 1b extends from Gilead Road to Chilgove Lane.
- Segment 2 extends from Chilgrove Lane to Highway 73.
- Segment 3 extends the Highway 73 Crossing to connect to existing McDowell Creek Greenway.
The McDowell Creek & Torrence Creek Greenway network is projected to be ~ 9 miles long by 2024. In addition to the McDowell Creek Greenway project, there are two additional greenway projects underway. The Torrence Tributary II Greenway project, from Rosewood Meadow Lane to the Huntersville Gateway Park and Ride at Compass Street will add ~ 1 mile of trail. For more information: https://www.publicinput.com/TorrenceTrib2. The McDowell Creek Greenway from Westmoreland Road to Magnolia Estate Drive (developed by the Town of Cornelius in partnership with NCDOT), will add ~ 1.6 miles of trails by the end of year 2021. For more information: https://www.cornelius.org/123/Greenways-Trails.
Below you will find project updates and timelines, meeting dates, key contact information, and other important information about the McDowell Creek Greenway project. You may also give feedback and ask questions about the greenway. We encourage you to provide your input and stay connected!
For more information on Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Capital Planning projects: https://parkandrec.mecknc.gov/site-menu/current-projects
December 16th, 2021 Public Meeting:
Segment 1a: McDowell Creek Greenway, Torrence Creek Greenway to Gilead Road
- .15 miles of main trail, .3 miles of access trail, 1 bridge, minor upgrades to Torrence Creek Greenway and a parking trailhead at Gilead Road.
- Construction is 100% complete and open to the public.
- Wayfinding is forthcoming.
Bridge over Torrence Creek Greenway:
McDowell Creek Greenway Trailhead:
SEGMENT 1B: McDowell Creek Greenway, Gilead Road to Chilgrove Lane
- .68 miles of main trail, .28 miles of connecting trails, 1 bridge, a crossing under Gilead Road and an overlook.
Segment 2: McDowell Creek Greenway, Chilgrove Lane to Highway 73
- .75 miles of main trail, .46 miles of access trails, paving of dirtway, 2 bridges and a parking trailhead
- Funded in partnership with the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
Segment 3: McDowell Creek Greenway, Highway 73 Crossing
- Crossing of NC73 that will connect existing McDowell Creek Greenway with future greenway currently in design.
- To be developed in partnership iwth NCDOT's Project U-5765-NC73 Widening from Catawba Ave. to Northcross Dr.
- Design approach is ongoing for a safe approach to cross NC73.
Virtual Public Meeting
December 16, 2021 at 6pm
Segment 1a: Torrence Creek Greenway to Gilead Road
Segment 1b: Gilead Road to Chilgrove Lane
- Construction Started
Segment 2: Chilgrove Lane to Highway 73
- Design - 90% Complete
- Construction Start projected for Winter 2023/2024
Segment 3: Highway 73 Crossing
- Project on-hold by NCDOT
Greenway Master Plan:
Gwen Cook, Planner
Gwen.Cook@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov or 980-314-1036
Joyce Figueroa, Planner
Joyce.Figueroa@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov or 980-314-1055
McDowell Creek Greenway Virtual Public Meeting
Join Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation for a virtual public meeting for McDowell Creek Greenway.